Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Freedom (sort of)!!!

A quick medical update. The doctor is very pleased with how things are looking and said that I'm even a little ahead of where he thought I would be. Don't need to see him again for a month, although I still have twice-weekly physical therapy sessions to keep me occupied.

I am also allowed to "wean" (doctor's term) myself off the crutches. What does that mean, you might ask? Basically, I can walk without them as long as it is comfortable, with a goal of dispensing with them altogether by the next time I see him. But, if my ankle gets sore or otherwise uncomfortable, I should use them.

So, it's not quite the "leave those crutches here" line that I was hoping to hear, but it's close enough for government work. As I write this, the crutches are sitting in the car!

One word of caution from the doctor. He told me to be very careful to watch where I'm walking because a misstep (or missed step, for that matter) could cause me to reinjure the tendon. Apparently this would be a quite unpleasant experience. So, if you see me walking around with my eyes focused on the ground instead of looking up, that's why.

Still, all in all, it feels good to be back on my feet again!

No comments: