Thursday, May 8, 2008
Health and Travel Updates
Sorry for the (latest) delay in adding new posts. For the first time since my boo boo, I traveled for work for 5 days starting last Thursday. We went to London, Jerusalem and the West Bank. I'll try to post some photos later.
It was a good trip - but after all the walking around and the 15+ hours on the return flight, my bad wheel was definitely swelling up a bit.
I had my followup appointment with the doctor today and expected to get a lecture about overexertion. Instead, it was quite the opposite. He said that everything looks great and I'm right on track. He's recommending 2 more months of physical therapy and then we'll see where things stand. He also said I could be cleared to play sports before the end of the year - probably in about 6 months. Not that I would do anything foolish like that, of course!
Meanwhile, the not-so-little one and Mommy are fighting a war of attrition over sleeping through the night. The doctor says, since she's (considerably) over 11 pounds now, she should be able to sleep through the night. For a baby of Madeleine's age and weight, that's defined as a solid stretch of 6 hours without waking. So, we're using the Ferber method to try to get there. A few rough nights so far, but last night was better and a quick re-check with the doctors office assured Hannah that we're on the right track.
Hannah also has to take Madeleine to physical therapy for the next 4 weeks because, at her checkup, the doctor thought she was favoring one side of her neck more than the other. At the initial appointment this week, the therapist said that she's favoring it very, very slightly but that it's probably worth addressing (of course, what else would she say?). Hannah said the girl was NOT happy about the different stretches the therapist put her through. Daddy knows that feeling!
So, the B family medical bills may be the only thing propping up the economy right now.
It was a good trip - but after all the walking around and the 15+ hours on the return flight, my bad wheel was definitely swelling up a bit.
I had my followup appointment with the doctor today and expected to get a lecture about overexertion. Instead, it was quite the opposite. He said that everything looks great and I'm right on track. He's recommending 2 more months of physical therapy and then we'll see where things stand. He also said I could be cleared to play sports before the end of the year - probably in about 6 months. Not that I would do anything foolish like that, of course!
Meanwhile, the not-so-little one and Mommy are fighting a war of attrition over sleeping through the night. The doctor says, since she's (considerably) over 11 pounds now, she should be able to sleep through the night. For a baby of Madeleine's age and weight, that's defined as a solid stretch of 6 hours without waking. So, we're using the Ferber method to try to get there. A few rough nights so far, but last night was better and a quick re-check with the doctors office assured Hannah that we're on the right track.
Hannah also has to take Madeleine to physical therapy for the next 4 weeks because, at her checkup, the doctor thought she was favoring one side of her neck more than the other. At the initial appointment this week, the therapist said that she's favoring it very, very slightly but that it's probably worth addressing (of course, what else would she say?). Hannah said the girl was NOT happy about the different stretches the therapist put her through. Daddy knows that feeling!
So, the B family medical bills may be the only thing propping up the economy right now.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Man, if the rule is "11 pounds = sleep through the night", my Mom was a slacker! I should have been sleeping through the night at 2 weeks ... I was 10 lbs 7 oz when I was born!! :) Good luck with all your excercises; neck, feet, & Ferber!
Post a Comment