Sunday, February 10, 2008
Bloggin' From (and Out?) My Backside
Six weeks ago, I became a parent. For the next six weeks, I am a baby. That's basically how the last few days have gone. I'm not sure exactly what I expected from the surgery, but I thought I would be a bit more mobile and useful than I've turned out to be.
The bottom line is that I've got two crutches and a cast and under no circumstances can I put weight on the bad wheel. I was able to fix dinner tonight by ordering groceries from Peapod and then having Hannah move our Herman Miller chair into the kitchen so I could wheel around (I'm making a lovely Irish stew in the slow cooker). And I was able to change a particularly nasty diaper standing on one leg - although Hannah had to help when I discovered that the outfit had been compromised.
But in general, I am a big liability. Hannah has had to do almost everything from normal baby care to some of my normal duties like taking out the trash and even meal preparation. While she is legendarily patient and understanding, my worthlessness has even tested her mettle.
Taking care of the little one is a challenge because of her increasing need for stimulation. When Hannah's out, we move the little one and a fully-stocked diaper bag out to the living room so I can do everything from the couch. But she needs more and more stimulation every day and I think she gets bored pretty quickly with the scenery from the couch.
When Hannah's here, unfortunately, I'm probably even less useful to her than when she's away because I get in the way and can't do some relatively basic things. And, I'm still kind of bummed out about the boo boo so I'm not my normal, chipper self - meaning that she has to care for two babies sometimes.
So, we've put out the APB to our friends in the area who have offered to help with babysitting - we're definitely cashing in those offers now. Suburban Mommy (our friend Meredith) came over for lunch the other day and stuck around when Hannah went in the office - she was a lifesaver and taught daddy a few more tricks to use at tummy time.
Bottom line - I was hoping that being laid up would be a little more like this and this but it's turning out to be more like this and this. [Yes, I know that 1) while Hannah can hold her own with Grace Kelly, I look more like this Stuart than Jimmy Stewart; and 2) I'm not rooting for anything bad to befall the neighbors while I'm laid up.]
Can't wait for the calendar to turn to April!
The bottom line is that I've got two crutches and a cast and under no circumstances can I put weight on the bad wheel. I was able to fix dinner tonight by ordering groceries from Peapod and then having Hannah move our Herman Miller chair into the kitchen so I could wheel around (I'm making a lovely Irish stew in the slow cooker). And I was able to change a particularly nasty diaper standing on one leg - although Hannah had to help when I discovered that the outfit had been compromised.
But in general, I am a big liability. Hannah has had to do almost everything from normal baby care to some of my normal duties like taking out the trash and even meal preparation. While she is legendarily patient and understanding, my worthlessness has even tested her mettle.
Taking care of the little one is a challenge because of her increasing need for stimulation. When Hannah's out, we move the little one and a fully-stocked diaper bag out to the living room so I can do everything from the couch. But she needs more and more stimulation every day and I think she gets bored pretty quickly with the scenery from the couch.
When Hannah's here, unfortunately, I'm probably even less useful to her than when she's away because I get in the way and can't do some relatively basic things. And, I'm still kind of bummed out about the boo boo so I'm not my normal, chipper self - meaning that she has to care for two babies sometimes.
So, we've put out the APB to our friends in the area who have offered to help with babysitting - we're definitely cashing in those offers now. Suburban Mommy (our friend Meredith) came over for lunch the other day and stuck around when Hannah went in the office - she was a lifesaver and taught daddy a few more tricks to use at tummy time.
Bottom line - I was hoping that being laid up would be a little more like this and this but it's turning out to be more like this and this. [Yes, I know that 1) while Hannah can hold her own with Grace Kelly, I look more like this Stuart than Jimmy Stewart; and 2) I'm not rooting for anything bad to befall the neighbors while I'm laid up.]
Can't wait for the calendar to turn to April!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment