Tuesday, February 5, 2008
Daddy is an Idiot - Part II
Further to my earlier post, I went to the orthopaedist today and confirmed my fears - I have managed to tear or "rupture" my Achilles tendon.
So, tomorrow morning, I get to have surgery to repair my boo boo. For the next 6 weeks, I will be in a cast and on crutches. Then, for two more weeks, just the crutches. Then, I get to start physical therapy. The earliest I can play sports again (if allowed to do so by my spouse) - 6 months. All I can say is - "****!"
My biggest worry is what this means on the home front. Will I be able to move my daughter from room to room while using crutches? Taking her for a stroll is out of the question. Half of my baby soothing tricks are out the window now. Now, not only am I a lousy husband, but I'm also a lousy dad!
I'm hoping last night wasn't a preview of things to come. Hannah went to the gym shortly after I got home from work. About 10 minutes after she left, The Monster appeared when Madeleine started fussing (as she has the last 4 times Hannah left me alone with her). So, I go through the usual checklist - feeding, changing, burping, alleviating boredom. Nothing was working and she was getting more and more agitated. So I went through the list again, to no avail. Mind you, getting her into the other room to visit the changing table or changing the scenery for the girl involves me literally hopping on one leg. And the whole time, she's getting more and more agitated.
Finally, I gave up and attempted to let her cry it out. You can imagine how well that went. When Hannah finally returned about 2 hours after leaving, the little one was completely screaming her head off. And, as soon as she heard mommy's voice, she turned into a little angel.
I have a bad feeling that these next two months are going to be rough.
So, tomorrow morning, I get to have surgery to repair my boo boo. For the next 6 weeks, I will be in a cast and on crutches. Then, for two more weeks, just the crutches. Then, I get to start physical therapy. The earliest I can play sports again (if allowed to do so by my spouse) - 6 months. All I can say is - "****!"
My biggest worry is what this means on the home front. Will I be able to move my daughter from room to room while using crutches? Taking her for a stroll is out of the question. Half of my baby soothing tricks are out the window now. Now, not only am I a lousy husband, but I'm also a lousy dad!
I'm hoping last night wasn't a preview of things to come. Hannah went to the gym shortly after I got home from work. About 10 minutes after she left, The Monster appeared when Madeleine started fussing (as she has the last 4 times Hannah left me alone with her). So, I go through the usual checklist - feeding, changing, burping, alleviating boredom. Nothing was working and she was getting more and more agitated. So I went through the list again, to no avail. Mind you, getting her into the other room to visit the changing table or changing the scenery for the girl involves me literally hopping on one leg. And the whole time, she's getting more and more agitated.
Finally, I gave up and attempted to let her cry it out. You can imagine how well that went. When Hannah finally returned about 2 hours after leaving, the little one was completely screaming her head off. And, as soon as she heard mommy's voice, she turned into a little angel.
I have a bad feeling that these next two months are going to be rough.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Even though Hannah's not Catholic, I'm canonizing her for sainthood.
Granny's favorite trick: soak the pacifier in Jim Beam.
You are absolutely NOT a lousy dad! If you'd busted your achilles KICKING your kid, then yes... but as it stands, no. Not even close. It does suck though - I'm sorry! Good luck with the surgery, and e-mail Maddie B a big kiss for me. (That is, since you apparently are not allowed to either actually kiss her, blow her a kiss, peck her on the forehead, or even breathe in the same room!)
Post a Comment