Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Monday, February 11, 2008

Trolling for Fellow Idiots and Other Observations

I'm home again today. Can't seem to go for more than 10 minutes on the crutches without the foot swelling up, which is consistent with what the doctor predicted but not consistent with getting into the office today. I'm supposed to keep it elevated as much as possible - again, not consistent with going to work or parenting. Perhaps when I see the doctor tomorrow he can give me some better anti-inflammatories than the 3 Advils I pop every 3-4 hours.

In the meantime, I've been trolling the blogosphere for fellow Achilles sufferers. Here's what I've found:
  • Here's a story of someone who did it slipping on an icy stair
  • Here's a basketball injury - I take more pride in the fact that I walked off the field after my boo boo after reading this account (although I will confess that I almost did this when i got to the sideline and one of the guys tried to show me how to do the Thompson's test)
  • Karate seems like a good way to do it too
  • How about running on the beach? (warning: graphic pictures of the post-surgical scar here)
  • This lady did it slipping at work
  • I can't do this story justice

So maybe I'm less of an idiot than I thought I was. Maybe I'm in really good company. Or maybe there's a conspiracy out there to maim relatively active 30somethings. But I'm still thinking that my physical activities may be limited to the gym for awhile.

Meanwhile, here are a few more random parenting thoughts:
  • This comment on our blog was written by my 87 year-old grandmother. Although not connected to the internet herself, she goes across the street to a neighbor's house on a surgically replaced knee to check out our blog (making her more mobile than me!). How cool is that? Way to go, Grummy!
  • Thanks to Suburban Mommy - the little one is sound asleep on the Boppy right next to me now AND getting tummy time at the same time (don't worry, I'm watching her like a hawk). Talk about killing two birds with one stone!
  • Thanks to our friend Melissa B - we've found a service that will help us to handle all the taxes and payroll paperwork when we get our babysitting situation finalized - what a relief!
  • We think Madeleine may have developed an addiction to Grandpa Tom's tummy - Grandpa Bob, beware!

2 comments:

Brian said...

Hey man. Buck up. (Aren't I a great consoler?)

Seriously, this blog has been an incredible insight into your mind. I'm thinking that all the links that you use reflect what's really going on in there all the time... amazing.

Unknown said...

Brian,

I can't believe that while you were trolling for fellow idiots it never crossed your mind to look me up! It has been exactly 6 months and 10 glorious days since my Achilles tendon surgery. I am not so proud to tell you that I ruptured mine while doing my very best Vanilla Ice impression at a Marina in Tennessee. (Classy, I know.) I was a dancing fool after a few (too many) Anheuser Busch products and...SNAP! The end of my summer. I must say, it was a very impressive hip-hop display for about 30 seconds. Very impressive indeed.

My wife does not quite remember it the same way. She had exactly zero adult beverages that day as we had found out she was pregnant 3 weeks earlier. Although she was sober, she had a difficult time recognizing my obvious talents through the fog of her first month or pregnancy. Chalk it up to hormonal changes. I can DANCE!

My condolences on your injury. It's not fun. I have yet to dance since July, but I did bowl last night (Classy, yet again) and I did not break anything or embarrass my very pregnant wife. Feel free to contact me for support as I know I will be contacting you in a few weeks when our daughter is born.

Chris R