Friday, March 21, 2008
Castaway - in a Good Way!
Yesterday was what I've been calling my "Castaway Day" - the day I got my cast off after 6 weeks (maybe I should have called it "Castoff Day" but "castaway" sounded more exotic).
The doctor says that everything looks good. I am allowed to stand up and to walk with the assistance of the crutches for the next 2 weeks, when I become crutch-free (unless I traumatize myself during the interregnum). If all goes well, the crutches go away at 1:10 PM on April 3. Physical therapy starts March 26 and is twice a week through the end of April. Unclear how frequent the remaining 5 months of PT will be.
Now, you might ask, as my madre and I did, what the difference between "walking" and "walk with the assistance of the crutches" is. We very quickly found out the difference when I got down to the car. I can stand up and support my weight sans crutches with no problem. What I can't do is walk - not because it is painful, but because the muscles have atrophied to the point that they don't support my full weight for locomotive purposes. We found this out the hard way when I tried to move from the back door of the car (where I had placed the crutches) to the front door of the car for three steps under my own power - and almost fell flat on my face.
The biggest single change that this new development means for me is that I CAN DRIVE AGAIN!!!! Having the ability to drive a car and not have to bum a ride off colleagues and family members is a HUGE help. Not only is it great to be more independent, but it will also play a critical role in ensuring marital harmony when Hannah and Madeleine return.
Speaking of my girls, they are still having fun in Florida. The rest of Hannah's family has arrived, so Madeleine has gotten to meet (and be held by) lots and lots of people over the last few days. Hannah reports that the Madeleine fan club is definitely growing by the day.
I'm glad they're having fun but, selfishly, I can't wait for my girls to get home. My mom and I are going to have to compete to see who gets to hold that baby first/most when she gets home. My mom has proposed a footrace to settle the issue - with my newfound upper body strength (I actually have defined triceps and shoulders now!), I propose an arm wrestling match.
The doctor says that everything looks good. I am allowed to stand up and to walk with the assistance of the crutches for the next 2 weeks, when I become crutch-free (unless I traumatize myself during the interregnum). If all goes well, the crutches go away at 1:10 PM on April 3. Physical therapy starts March 26 and is twice a week through the end of April. Unclear how frequent the remaining 5 months of PT will be.
Now, you might ask, as my madre and I did, what the difference between "walking" and "walk with the assistance of the crutches" is. We very quickly found out the difference when I got down to the car. I can stand up and support my weight sans crutches with no problem. What I can't do is walk - not because it is painful, but because the muscles have atrophied to the point that they don't support my full weight for locomotive purposes. We found this out the hard way when I tried to move from the back door of the car (where I had placed the crutches) to the front door of the car for three steps under my own power - and almost fell flat on my face.
The biggest single change that this new development means for me is that I CAN DRIVE AGAIN!!!! Having the ability to drive a car and not have to bum a ride off colleagues and family members is a HUGE help. Not only is it great to be more independent, but it will also play a critical role in ensuring marital harmony when Hannah and Madeleine return.
Speaking of my girls, they are still having fun in Florida. The rest of Hannah's family has arrived, so Madeleine has gotten to meet (and be held by) lots and lots of people over the last few days. Hannah reports that the Madeleine fan club is definitely growing by the day.
I'm glad they're having fun but, selfishly, I can't wait for my girls to get home. My mom and I are going to have to compete to see who gets to hold that baby first/most when she gets home. My mom has proposed a footrace to settle the issue - with my newfound upper body strength (I actually have defined triceps and shoulders now!), I propose an arm wrestling match.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment